Tuesday 22 March 2011

A2 Coursework 'Is It Art?' - Second Response


I created this piece in response to the notion that our views on 'art' are distorted by the views of a mass society, for instance an artist's work may be rejected because it features a subject that is morally unacceptable in society, such as Marcel Duchamp's Fountain. From the idea of our views being distorted by the opinions of others I began to explore ways that our sight can literally be distorted, through binoculars, magnifying glasses, mirrors, reflective objects and glasses. I decided to do a piece that incorporated glasses as a large proportion of the population rely on glasses to see. This piece was inspired by the artist Lisa Milroy who creates paintings which feature rows of a certain object such as shoes. I incorporated ideas that came from researching Lisa Milroy's work by painting many types and styles of glasses to echo the idea that we are all different yet can sometimes all see the same view. To incorporate the idea of our sight being distorted I then painted in distorted images from reflections that I has studied into the lenses of the glasses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment