Tuesday 22 March 2011

A2 Coursework 'Is It Art?' - Final Piece


This is the Final Piece for my personal investigation "Is It Art?". Here I had been exploring the theme of beauty and ugliness within 'art'. From the results of a questionnaire I distributed amongst my peers, family and tutors, many people stated that "art has to be beautiful" which is a notion that I personally disagree with. I decided to explore and compare typically "beautiful" art such as landscapes by Monet, Cezanne and Van Gogh, and compare it with my surroundings which, combine urbanisation, houses, wastelands, derelict buildings and nearby countryside.  This inspired me to create a landscape piece which featured two landscapes, one that is beautiful and one that is ugly. During this I briefly returned to the work of Jenny Saville; how ugly art can be appreciated for its hidden beauty. I wanted to incorporate a sensation of tearing through the ugly to reveal the hidden beauty. The idea to mix these landscapes together I hoped would enable me to highlight the contrast between them yet challenge the idea that 'art' is beautiful through incorporating them into one combined piece. I chose the beautiful landscape to be a typically rural, countryside view, this would then contrast with the ugly landscape which would be an urban, city scape. The rural landscape I did in the style of Monet, through the use of bright, vibrant colour, using oil pastels. Whereas the urban landscape, inspired by the urban artist Banksy, was created using minimal colour through spray painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment